Dating 50 plus Hørsholm online dating site for asians
A period of stagnation ensued until the end of the 18th century.
Dramatic changes began in Odense in the 18th century to modernise the city and a great plan was drawn up for development.
The priory no longer exists, although a church has been situated on the site since about 900.
At the beginning of the 12th century, Benedictine monks from England founded St Canute's Abbey.
An 8 kilometre (5.0 mi) long, 7.5 metre (25 ft) deep canal from Odense Harbour to Odense Fjord was built between 17 to facilitate the growth of Odense as a port city, radically increasing its level of trade and population.
From the 1840s, the city enjoyed a period of rapid expansion beyond its traditional boundaries, becoming Denmark's second largest city.
In the present day, Odense remains the commercial hub of Funen, and has a notable shopping district with a diversity of stores.
By road, Odense is located 45 kilometres (28 mi) north of Svendborg, 144 kilometres (89 mi) to the south of Aarhus and 167 kilometres (104 mi) to the southwest of Copenhagen.
The city is the seat of Odense Municipality and was the seat of Odense County until 1970, and Funen County from 1970 until 1 January 2007, when Funen County became part of the Region of Southern Denmark.
The city gates were demolished in 1851 and soon afterwards development extended to the area south of the river.
Glove production, which had begun in the 18th century, developed into one of the most important industries while the harbour facilities were further expanded.